Thursday, September 25, 2014

Brief Summary of The Coupon Collection

           The change in the visual representation of the coupon was my starting point for the Coupon Collection. The visual transition was from the traditional print media coupon to a QR Code, which is scannable with a digital device. Instead of a tangible printed object being exchanged it is a transfer of digital information.  As I collected, clipped, and sorted the print media coupon collection for three years from my local community distribution, I have observed and researched other print media transitions.
            These transitions are related to newspaper publications and the social interactions between the media cultures of print and digital. The focus of my research was following the transition of print media newspapers to online versions. This was significant, because the majority of coupons are distributed in the printed Sunday editions. I have been researching the cut backs in the print edition newspapers not only with the local paper but other American city newspapers. My October 30, 2013 blog post highlighted the New Orleans Times-Picayune newspaper cut backs to only three days a week. Not even a whole year later from that decision, the Times-Picayune announced that it would be offering a daily printed version to the New Orleans community again.[1]
            As for the local newspaper transitions, my local grocery store is still selling the Sunday print edition at a reduce rate of $2.00. The local newspaper doubled the price for the print edition in the winter of 2012,[2] while promoting online and print subscriptions. Both of these subscriptions are still being promoted and there have not been any cut backs in the distribution of the print publications. Although current articles indicate another cut to the news staff.[3]   
            My Coupon Collection web page listing of monthly collected coupons that is organized by the expiration date presents a constant collecting process within the three-year time frame. The print media coupon was the only tangible object I collected when I began this Internet-based project. My current research and the expanded context of the Internet-based project have shifted my focus toward the digital aspects of the collecting process. I will transition my research and the collecting process away from the concepts of print media. I view this as a progression to the Internet-based project and an expansion of my formal higher education background in fine art printmaking and print media. I relate and reference my views to the evolution of artist and scholar, Margot Lovejoy’s online work and research.[4]
            At this time, I am not able to conclude a future timetable for the print media coupon. This information and the archiving of the Coupon Collection itself can be acknowledged in the future for other forms of interdisciplinary research or for print media collections. If any of my blog viewers are interested in The Coupon Collection, please contact me via the contact information on the “about the collection’s” web page. I end this blog post with a video clip, which represents a visual of myself collecting a weekly postal delivery of ad circulars.
 
video


[4] Margot Lovejoy, Postmodern Currents Art and Artists in the Age of Electronic Media (Ann Arbor; UMI Research Press, 1989) Preface Section

No comments: