Friday, August 22, 2014

Fieldwork and Visual Methods

         After the first two weeks of plotting the locations of the flyers, I began the second phase of my fieldwork. This included collecting digital images of the locations and video studies for the actual collection. In the August 17, 2014 blog post, I presented my car as a means for travel, along with passive observation. My car didn’t impeded my visual methods for the collecting process it was the limited pedestrian accessibility to the intersection of roadways.
            While Newark does have sections of sidewalks, a majority of the flyers were posted in areas regarded as non-pedestrian accessible. I had to consider parking options for my car and walk to the intersection locations. Other instances, I had to recruit a driver for early morning weekends. These times were important, because of less traffic along the roadway to conduct video studies from the car at a slower pace.   
            Thru this process of my fieldwork I was on guard of being exposed as a single person along side the roadway. My female gender is part of my concerns, but a larger portion is the cultural changes from the American 9/11 time period. Taking images along roadways or even larger public areas is still considered a suspicious act. I did not encounter any issues with this anti-terrorism system while out in the public realm. My minor disturbances during my fieldwork were a few outlandish remarks yelled out by people in passing vehicles. Navigating the suburban roadways for my visual methods has peaked my curiosity of how and when these print media flyers were posted in these specific locations.
            Please refer to the August 16th blog post Recently Seen in Area Video Studies for a couple approaches with how I was investigating the representation of the suburban environment.

No comments: