Sunday, August 24, 2014

Digital Media: Internet-based Collection and Google Maps

            Throughout the duration of my fieldwork with the video studies, I considered my presentation ideas for the digital media that would form the Recently Seen in Area Collection. I knew I wanted the video and digital still images to be viewed in a different manner, since this collection included the suburban environment.
            First, I considered my website as the main presentation platform for the collection. Working through the layout of the collection, I understood that I did not want the display of the collection to be separate from the plotted map location component. In this portion of the process, I began to edit the digital objects and acknowledge the visual redundancy of the suburban intersections.
            I chose the website, Google Maps, for the site’s options of being able to link video and digital images with the online map.  This allows an interactive component of clicking on the plotted locations of the map and viewing selected video. The included screenshot shows the pop up style of presenting a video on Google Maps. The range of viewing time for the videos was between 30 and 45 seconds. This range of time came from my research of approximate time spent at a traffic light (averaging around 2 minutes) and my experience with the time to observe the four corners of an intersection while being stopped.
Screen Shot of Google Map with Pop Up Style for presenting video
      
        In the organizing and digital curation of the collection, I did encounter Internet technology issues. These quirks altered the arrangement of the digital still image placement on Google Maps. My Internet technology issues had to do with uploading digital still images onto Google Maps. The video portion went smoothly by using YouTube as a host for my videos; the YouTube links were accepted immediately. I went through various Google-based sites to host my still images for the uploading process. They included Google+ pictures and Picasa. 
            During my troubleshooting, I came across a blog that had great information and visuals. The post was over a year old and offered a link to an updated post with the up to date version of Google Maps (Maps Engine Lite). While the option’s that were offered to aid in embedding video and still images did not work for my situation, I found the comments listed at the bottom of the Mulin Blog very helpful. The comments stated the opposite of my current issue with still photos. Instead the responses referred to embedding YouTube videos. One commenter stated that Google Maps could be “seriously fickle” with embedding options.[1] 
            This led me to find a creative solution for embedding my still images. I placed the still images into a video format and applied my viewing time to each one. I uploaded these video versions onto my YouTube account and had no problems with embedding them on Google Maps to complete my presentation. The Recently Seen in Area Collection presented on Google Maps is not set in the preference as a “collaborative” map. This is intentionally done, because of the short time period of the project and to exhibit a specific time, along with the location of the existing state of these ephemeral objects, the print media flyers.

No comments: