Thursday, March 7, 2013

Ethnographic Roles

  
 
The Trimming of the Mustache video clip from the February 2013 Recent Additions of the Mouth Collection will be used as an example in describing the ethnographic roles of participants. This example investigates the two participants experiences with the social interaction with a pair of scissors. My focus for this post is to continue the dialog of the ethnography stages having two participants.
              Referring to my July 30, 2012 blog post, Roles Within the Ethnography Stages, I began the text by describing how I use the ethnographic roles as working roles within my art practice. I give examples of how these different roles emerge with the stages of my ethnography process. By identifying the working roles this established an understanding that the roles of participant and ethnographer were integrated. My experience with an object along with the ethnography discloses the knowledge concerning the sensory experience and the stages of a social interaction.
             During the ethnography process concerning the act of trimming a mustache there are two forms of knowledge revealed for both the sensory experience and the social interaction with a pair of scissors.  The two participants are the gentleman with the mustache and myself. The perspective from the gentleman with the mustache is in regards to the social interaction with the scissors being used to cut his facial hair. My perspective is of being engaged in the act of cutting hair with the scissors. I have the control over the action of the scissors and the gentleman is the passive participant
            A section from my fieldnotes on the sensory portion of the social interaction will explore the sense of touch with facial hair from both participants’ experiences of the use of the scissors.
           
Section from the interview of gentleman with mustache:
“It is hard to sit still, because when the hair is cut it touches and tickles my nose and face. This is ongoing through the cutting.”

Section from my own self-interview:
“With the scissors in my right hand, I begin to cut the course hair. Carefully I trim along the upper lip. Opening and shutting the scissors in a repetitive action.”    

The sections offer an acknowledgment of how documenting these roles expose multiple perspectives before the staged recording process of the video clip for the collections. 
To view the Trimming of the Mustache video clip from the February 2013 Recent Additions of the Mouth Collection please visit the website.             
       

No comments: