Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sensory Ethnography and The Archive and Management Process


            The sensory ethnography methods provide a resource for the archive and management of the video clip segment of the collection. Written documentation and still photos of the experiences from the social interaction of people and objects offer a reference to the sensory experiences.            
            As an example, the second portion of the October 13, 2011 blog post is a description of the process of myself opening an easy-open lid style can. The still photos along with the written descriptions are content of my research materials.  The written description pertains to the social interaction between person and object. Besides the physical interaction with my hands, I include a description within my writing about the interaction of the senses with the activity.
            I include written documentation of the social and sensory interaction present in each video clip in my collection archive. Archiving the preliminary research and methods of the activities, before capturing the social interactions by means of video, conveys that my research is not dominated by a visual method. Even though visual images play an important role in sensory ethnography, using a variety of mediums for practical and permanent documentation, such as writing, audio recording, all implies research and experience of the ethnographic process.[1]
            Since I am considering the video clips as the “object” of my collection, archiving my documented sensory ethnography methods establishes a foundation for the formation of the collection. I perceive that the archive of the collection will have a future role in a restaging of a segment of the collection by either an exhibit at a public institution or via an internet presentation.


[1] Sarah Pink, Doing Sensory Ethnography (London: Sage Publications Inc, 2009), 99 

No comments: